Sunday, June 03, 2007

Common Sense Prevails

Tul Bahadur Pun, VC
Tul Bahadur Pun VC
I've been a bit bogged down correcting my techical misdeeds so I haven't really been scanning my newsfeeds enough to get irate about anything this weekend but nonetheless I was glad to see this report from the BBC.

Action has been taken over the case of Tul Bahadur Pun, a story that set large parts of the Internet alight last week. My own miniscule contribution is HERE.

The government have seen it fit to grant VC hero Tul Bahadur Pun the right to residence in the UK. According to the BBC,
Immigration Minister Liam Byrne has now said his case is "exceptional" and he will be granted a visa due to a "heroic record in the service of Britain".

I could rant about whether he should ever have had his application for residence rejected in the first place or officialdom in general that gives rise to cases like this, but I won't. We'll never know if the decision would have been made without the public outcry the case arose but I'm going to be fair minded about it.

So, with due reluctance to attribute common sense to anything connected to NuLab, well done Liam Byrne, good luck and good health to Tul Bahadur Pun.

No comments: